The Travel Midwest website will soon change the area of geographic coverage. This change reflects the fact that our neighboring states have their own Traveler Information/511 systems, and therefore support of a multi-state traveler information system is no longer necessary. This change will allow us to better focus our resources on Illinois and the immediately surrounding area in order to improve traveler information and traffic operations.
Please review the following sections on the new boundary area, and additional resources which cover the areas which will no longer be served by TravelMidwest.com. This change is anticipated to be completed by Spring 2022.
- Tiling for better performance - the background map image is broken up into smaller sized tiles that can be individually cached. The smaller images are optimized for quick transmission through content delivery networks.
- Clickable dynamic data - the mouse cursor icon changes shape to a hand pointer when it is hovered over a clickable dynamic map element such as a camera, dynamic message sign, weather station, travel time, event, or congestion link. Clicking on one of these items brings up a pop-up centered near the item. Pop-ups automatically refresh every minute to display the latest data.
- More detailed background map - the background map is maintained separately by OpenStreetMap and includes more detailed information such as building locations and names, park names, rail road lines, parking facilities, and more.
- Viewable beyond coverage area - the map covers geography outside the Gateway Traveler Information System coverage area instead of displaying a black background.
- Coverage area polygon - a shaded coverage area polygon is drawn over the map to display the boundary of the Gateway Traveler Information System coverage area.
- State and county boundaries - state and county boundaries are clearly marked (and labeled when zoomed in).
- Re-center button added to allow user to scroll away from current location and then center back on their location easily